Sunday, October 26, 2008

String beans. When I think about Grandma Gert I think about string beans. A wooden chair, a brown grocery bag and a pot filled with string beans. Snap! Snap! Puuulllll. DroP. Repeat.
What exactly is the difference between a green bean and a string bean, besides green beans coming in tin cans and string beans coming in piles from the produce section. I buy string beans now because they remind me of Grandma Gert. Sometimes they will rot in the vegetable drawer of the icebox and I will end up throwing them out without having performed the ritual Snap! Snap! Puullll. DroP. Repeat. It isn't that I don't like to eat them; I love string beans. Mostly I just forget that I bought them because I didn't purchase them with a plan in mind for including them in a meal; only because they remind me of Grandma Gert.

No comments: